Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Note Card Journal

July 5 marks one year of my keeping a note card journal.  Random date to start, yes, but I didn't want to wait until January 1.  Let me back up and first address what the heck a note card journal is.

I got the idea here.  Essentially, you take index cards and stamp (or write) the date and the month on them-one card for every day of the year.  You end up with 365 cards.  Then you take the card with the current date on it and on the first line, write the year and then a few words about what happened that day.  File that card in the back and the next day is ready for you to write about tomorrow.

I did this for an entire year, writing a little something that happened each day, both the exciting and the mundane.  I need to be a bit more concise, but I think as I keep up with this and reread what happened previously, I will be better able to determine what is worth reading a year later.

I gave note card journals as Christmas gifts in 2012.  I tried using a strawberry container for the note cards as the original creator did.  However, in these parts, the farmers in the farmers' market use this container, which is narrower at the bottom and wider at the top.  This design is not ideal for holding note cards.


Even if you trimmed them to fit the narrow bottom, they are too loose at the top.  Trust me, I tried.


However, I did find this pencil holder at OfficeMax and it works perfectly when you take the middle divider piece out.  The cards are in sideways, but you don't have to sacrifice any length and the date is clearly visible on top.



The original creator used vintage postcards to divide the months.  I did this for one of the gifts and it looked pretty cool.  When I went back to the Antique Mall for more, the postcards were harder to find and more expensive per card so I used different colored card stock as dividers and they looked great as well.  I didn't make dividers for the one I use personally.  I thought I could always add them later if I found I needed them.

So now I have one year's worth of sentence memories.  I LOVE IT!  Technically, I have almost a year and a half because my husband has been writing down what happens in a day on the computer for the past few years.  He helped me go back and so I could fill in January through July 4, 2012.  Just ask me what I was doing on your birthday last year and I can tell you!

This is a wonderful gift as well.  Those to whom I gave it were very appreciative.  I have the date stamp if you want to borrow it!


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Powered by Blogger.