Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Welcome, Camille Norah!

Baby Gras #2 was due May 15.  With my history of fast labor and the fact that I was group B Strep positive, we were planning to induce labor on Monday, May 13 to make sure I got two rounds of antibiotics in before the baby was born.  I was a bit nervous about inducing labor, but since my plan was to get an epidural anyway I figured it wouldn't matter if the contractions were more intense.  We had to be at the hospital at 6:00am.

Sunday night, we dropped Annique off at Grandma and Grandpa Gras' house.  We cleaned, did laundry, finished packing our hospital bags and went to bed around 11:00.  At 12:30, I rolled out of bed.  "Contractions?" Dan asked.  "My water broke." I answered.  (I rolled out of bed to spare the mattress: success.)  I called my dad who was the on-call nurse anesthetist at the time to tell him my water broke, but that I was not having any contractions.  I wanted to give him time to call someone to come in because he didn't want to be the one to put in my epidural.   We got things together and headed to the hospital, arriving at 1:00am.  Contractions started in the car on the way in.  I also started trembling.  I don't remember having that issue with Annique, but it is such a weird feeling to be shaking and have no control over it.

I arrived at a 6 contracting to a 7. They hooked me up to the monitor and I could hear our little baby's heartbeat.  Two nurses came in and both missed when trying to start my IV for the antibiotics.  My dad ended up coming in and successfully getting it started.  My doctor arrived (which was awesome because she was out of town for the weekend so I'm glad she was back).  Contractions were pretty intense and my dad asked if I could wait for his co-worker to get in.  I told him I was pretty uncomfortable.  Although it is not what he had intended, my dad ended up putting in my epidural as well.  It went smoothly and worked effectively.  Thanks, Dad!

Dad starting my IV
I was able to rest a bit for about an hour an a half because by now it was around 2:00am.  By rest, I do not mean sleep because you can't really sleep when your blood pressure is taken every 15 minutes.  Dan was resting in a chair next to my bed.  I remember turning to him about 3:40 and saying, "Something is happening, something is changing and I think we're getting very close."  The trembling came back as well.  Later, I was told that my body was most likely trembling as a result of such a quick labor.

At that point my wonderful doctor came back in with a few nurses and sure enough it was time to push.  Camille was born at 3:54 am and when they set her on my tummy, I could only see her head, I still didn't know if she was a boy or a girl.  Someone scooted her closer and my suspicions were confirmed: girl!


A big girl weighing in at 8 pounds 9 ounces, 19.5 inches long.

Woah, look at that strawberry blond hair!
A short while later, my mom and dad came in to meet their newest granddaughter. My whole family visited later in the day--including Dan's sisters from St. Louis and Wichita!  It was so great to see everyone.  As a mom, it warms you heart when people are excited about your child.  We're excited about this new little life as well.  We know we are so blessed.




2 comments:

Aunt Tisha said...

Thanks for posting the story, Courtney! I love it that you had a quick labor. So happy for you, Dan and Annique. You've been blessed!

sargnasus said...

I love that you wrote this out, Courtney. There were even a few details that I hadn't yet heard. We are thrilled that you & Dan (& the Lord) have given us a beautiful little girl, Camille Norah! We already love her deeply and are eager to get to know her better.

Post a Comment

Followers

Powered by Blogger.