Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Crafting Desk Progress and Ribbon Storage Thoughts

My crafting desk is my challenge area in terms of organization.  I have an overwhelming amount of things to organize for one.  Also, there are other areas of the house I feel are more important to be functional and organized.  However, I love to create here and I find as I get more drawers organized, my desk is getting used more.  This is because I am getting better at putting things away when I'm done leaving the desk clear for more projects.

You may remember this post a long time ago where I started creating my own storage containers.  I LOVE this method, but it takes a lot of time.  I have completed another drawer so I have a before and after shot for you.

 

This was my ribbon and hair bow-making drawer.  I laid out everything I wanted in the drawer and made some storage boxes to fit my specific needs.  I also spent some time researching ribbon storage.  I completed my design and here is the final result:


For the amount of ribbon I usually have on hand, I thought the wrapping method I saw on this blog was the way to go.  I even have some room to grow, which is good.  I had ribbon spools strung on a rod (singular) like this:

Source

but didn't like having to take the whole thing apart to take off an empty spool.  I also tried this for awhile:

Source
but I found it a bit annoying to re-coil the ribbon when I was done with it. 

With the completion of another drawer, my desk is definitely taking shape!  I owe a lot of this to the Spring Cleaning 365 blog because this post inspired me to spend at least 10 minutes organizing this space every day.  That might translate to planning a drawer; researching rubber stamp storage; or designing, building and covering storage bins.  The progress is encouraging and the task is less intimidating when broken down like that.

I also owe a lot to this free class by Tiffany of The Scrap Rack who teaches an excellent process of systematically organizing your crafting supplies (scrapbook supplies specifically).  I took that class back in 2012 and LOVE what I learned!  Maybe some day I will be a personal organizer who specializes in craft areas.  Hmmm...

Anyway, some final before/afters for you of my completed drawers:

For my first drawer I do not have the best "before" pic since I started laying stuff out before remembering to take a "before" shot.

 And the ribbon and hair bow drawer.

Progress!

3 comments:

Stella Nemeth said...

I like your box making method. I might need to do some of that too. Right now I need to come up with a better method to deal with threads. I did find a divider that worked, but that means I can't see all the threads because I can't get the drawer all the way open while I'm sitting next to it. (It is near my machine.) I really don't want a thread rack, but I might have to go that route.

Any ideas?

Steph @ Crafting in the Rain said...

I have some of my ribbon in a box like that too, and it is always popping out :) I love your new drawer! Thanks for linking at Point of View!

Amy at Ameroonie Designs said...

The ribbon storage is perfect. I agree about the rod thing- it drove me nuts when one would run out in the middle of the rod. :) Organizing is key to productivity for me. Something that changes and evolves, but still necessary. Love the inspiration! Thanks for linking to Point of view!
xoxo,
Amy

Post a Comment

Followers

Powered by Blogger.