Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Best Oven Cleaning Method Ever

Well, the best I've ever found, anyway.

I have a gas oven with no self-cleaning option. That is OK by me as I am starting to read that using that feature is not a good idea  if you want to prolong the life of your oven.  However, it obviously makes for more work when one's oven does need cleaning.  I'm using cleaners with chemicals less and less so I wanted to see if there was a more natural way to clean an oven.  Sure enough, there is!  Ed wrote this article which is where I was introduced to this method.  If you need specifics, Ed is your man.

This method takes time and persistence, but honestly not too much physical effort- which is why I love it!  Here are your supplies:

Baking soda, brand-new garden-sized (1 quart or 1 liter) spray bottle, water.


Take the water bottle and fill it with 3 teaspoons of baking soda.  Fill bottle up with water.  Shake to dissolve.

Now that you have your cleaner, here is the process:

Spray your solution on all the black spots in your oven one or more times a day when the oven is OFF.  Since I am a bit of a nerd with to do lists, I just added this one as a repeating daily task on my iPod.  Oh, how I ♥ checking things off!  Eventually, the oven (or broiler pan in my case) will look like this.



Now you're thinking my oven is supposed to be getting cleaner, yet it looks so much worse.  Don't give up!  And yes, you can safely use the oven for cooking during this process, even when it looks all crusty.

After several days, well weeks is actually better, wipe with a damp sponge.  If you waited long enough, you only have to wipe it once.  You don't even have to scrub!  A-MAZING!


I, however, did not wait quite long enough and some black spots remain.  No problem.  Just repeat the process!

I'd like to give a shout out to Ed who saved me from using harsh chemicals to clean my oven when my dinner bubbled over.  A lot.  (I'm sure this NEVER happens to anyone else....)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Powered by Blogger.