Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Dinner Fail

Sometimes, things don't go as planned.  For me, that happens most often while I'm cooking.  The goal was a cheesy chicken and wild rice casserole.  It was another pinterest find, this one from the Picky Palate blog.

Fail #1: Ingredients.  So, I definitely thought I got the fully cooked wild rice from Trader Joe's rthat the author talks about when I actually got the cook-it-yourself kind.  This wouldn't have been a big deal if I discovered that a few hours before I need the rice, and not right when I needed the rice.  Oh well. She does say I can use all white rice so I start a lot of white rice instead.

Fail #2: Forgotten Oil.  So I heat up some oil and start dicing my veggies.  As I'm looking at my pile of onion, celery, and carrots I think, I better turn that oil off, I won't get to it in awhile.  Then, I as I'm chopping, I start to smell burning.  I turn around and there is a nice scorched pan as the oil is smoking behind me.  I guess I just thought about turning it off, but didn't actually turn it off.  Doors open, fan going!

My eyes are burning both from the smoke and from dicing the onion.  I step outside for a minute for some fresh air, but instead it starts raining and I get bit by a mosquito.  Back indoors.

Fail #3: Misread Recipe: So I did get my veggies successfully sauteed.  I add my garlic. (I ♥ garlic!)  Then I add the chicken broth.  Great.  Now I'm ready to make the sauce.  I'm reading about the directions for that and it tells me to slowly add chicken broth to flour (GF of course). What?  I already added the broth!  Upon closer inspection, the recipe read "Stir in chicken, both rices..."  and not "stir in chicken broth."

Recipe aborted.

I threw in the chicken and we ate the result, although it was just some chicken-tasting rice with sauteed vegetables.  A bit bland, but at least I didn't waste any food.  (Besides the oil, I guess.)


I also returned to Trader Joes and got the wild rice I was originally seeking.  I guess I'm up for trying this one again.

Tell me your epic meal fail.  Or, maybe I'm the only one who does that...

1 comments:

DG said...

They are all tasty. And "chicken, both" really is close to "chicken broth"

Post a Comment

Followers

Powered by Blogger.